There are countless opinions on how to be an effective leader, but it’s important not to forget the basics. Here are five rules for mastering the fundamentals of leadership:
- Shape the future. Articulate where your company or division is going and be sure everyone around you understands the direction.
- Make things happen. Once you know where you’re headed, focus on how. Again, be sure all of your people know what executing will take.
- Engage today’s talent. Make the most of your people; engage and inspire them to do their best.
- Build tomorrow’s talent. Find and build the talent you need for future success.
- Invest in yourself. You can never be a perfect leader; find ways to continually build your skills and become better.
Harvard Business Review. (2011). Management Tips. Harvard Business Press.